W. Short Hospitality
W. Short Hospitality pave the way for their future leaders
W. Short Hospitality
- W. Short Hospitality's website
W. Short Hospitality is one of Sydney’s leading hospitality management groups with over 30 years’ experience owning and operating venues throughout NSW.
The family-run business manages award-winning venues in iconic locations across the state, including The Australian Hotel and The Glenmore Hotel in The Rocks, The Royal Hotel in Leichhardt, and The Tudor Hotel and Misfits Bar & Dining both located in Redfern.
With the mantra of creating the best possible experiences for customers and staff instilled throughout their venues, W. Short Hospitality is passionate about providing training and development opportunities to their team.
W. Short Hospitality are committed to investing in their internal talent to retain valuable team members within their group.
Accordingly, W. Short Hospitality sought to develop a leadership and management training program that would provide a pathway for junior employees to progress into more senior positions within the organisation.
- W. Short Hospitality wanted to develop capable future leaders for their group
- W. Short Hospitality wanted to retain talented team members by providing them with development opportunities that support their career progression
- To achieve this, W. Short Hospitality required a training program that would provide employees from various positions with relevant, transferable leadership and management skills suitable for their organisation
W. Short Hospitality worked with Allara Learning to develop a customised leadership program that would equip young staff members with the skills required to advance into management positions.
The program prepares employees for leadership roles by providing them with the capabilities and experience that allows them to successfully manage, guide and support a team.
“This leadership course was designed to provide the necessary skills and insight to our more junior staff that aspire to become a leader within our business,” explains Group People & Culture Manager, Shaun Chapman.
Course content focused on the development of strong interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence, allowing employees to learn to communicate effectively as a manager, to lead positive workplace relationships and build successful teams.
A range of practical hospitality management skills were also covered, providing guidance on how to successfully manage work schedules and finances, build valuable client relationships, and implement WHS & customer service standards across a team.
Training was delivered through a combination of classroom-based and practical activities, with students engaging in workshops, case studies, scenario-based learning and workplace projects.
Delivery was aligned with a BSB42015 Certificate IV in Leadership and Management to provide employees with a nationally recognised qualification on successful completion.
The leadership skillset employees developed through the program prepared them to take on more responsibility with confidence. Many of W. Short Hospitality’s junior staff have already advanced in their career since undertaking the program.
“Almost every employee we have trained through this course has in some way progressed further within their hospitality career in our group,” says Shaun.
Among these individuals is 21-year-old Mitchell Santi, who began his hospitality career at W. Short Hospitality working on the floor.
“I grew a lot through doing a course like this,” says Mitchell. “I gained a whole set of skills I didn’t have before which directly affect my day-to-day life in the workplace. After the training I came back and was better at my job for it.”
After successfully completing the program, Mitchell was promoted to a Venue Manager role at the group’s iconic Australian Hotel.
- W. Short Hospitality successfully provided their junior staff with strong leadership skills that will allow them to progress into management positions
- W. Short Hospitality retained key talent and developed future leaders within the group
- Many of the participants have already moved into more senior positions since commencing the program
- Eight employees successfully completed the first program and achieved their BSB42015 Certificate IV in Leadership and Management, with ongoing programs currently running with Allara Learning